
Our stake had a pioneer trek for the youth at Riley's Farm (near Beaumont) this week. Apparently, the Riley's are LDS and put on these treks during the summer for different stakes. Joey went on one in Wyoming with Kyle years ago. So the kids pull handcarts and dress in authentic pioneer garb so they can get a feel for the experience the pioneers had. The trail is somewhat rigorous and they stop along the way to have demonstrations, play games, etc. They cooked their dinners on campfires at night and slept on the ground. Charles went for the entire experience, but I just went up Friday evening, so I was there for dinner, a Porter Rockwell reenactment, a fireside, hoedown, and a movie. They obtained a copy of
17 Miracles, a movie that's showing in Utah about the Willy Handcart company. I stayed for the whole thing, which was very moving, and got home around 1:30 a.m.! Even at that, I'm sure I got more sleep than anyone who slept up there!

Here's Charles all fresh and clean when I dropped him off at the Stake Center. He wasn't that clean when he came home yesterday!

The girl in the plaid skirt is Michelle Kendall's adopted daughter who was having fun at the hoe down!
3 comments:
I've never been on a trek, but they look very educational.Is it kind of like girls' camp where you don't get to shower, but boys are there too?
It's kind of like that, Sarita, only they also have to get really dirty, grungy, sore and tired and sleep on the ground, not in tents!They pull handcarts up steep trails, etc. They do have porta-potties that follow along on little trailers, so that's one convenience! It turns out to be a good experience for all though!
You guys look great in your pioneer clothing. It looks hot in that picture though.The kids look like they're having fun dancing. Did you have a good experience the night you went up? What did Dad think about it all?
Post a Comment